Due to a glitch on the washingtonpost.com website, I saw a headline reading that “KFC Japan buys Colonel Sanders’ trademark.”
Wow, Kentucky Fried Chicken must be hurting for business to have been forced to sell the Colonel’s trademark.
President of KFC Japan buys Colonel Sanders’ trademark white suit at auction for $21K
The Washington Post (2013 June 22)
…Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan purchased the trademark white suit worn by company founder “Colonel” Harland Sanders at auction Saturday for $21,510—then promptly tried it on.
Masao “Charlie” Watanabe grinned while putting on the suit jacket and black string tie at the Heritage Auctions event…said he plans to display the suit at a restaurant in Tokyo…more...
To me it looks like CEO “Charlie” Watanabe needs to eat more Kentucky Fried Chicken so he can fill out the Colonel’s suit properly, ha, ha.
As the article said, Colonel Sanders is a popular figure in Japan, and most KFC restaurants there have statues of him in front. The Colonel is so iconic in Japan the 3Yen has featured him many times before including…
• Deep-fried Goku and the gang? (3Yen 2013-03-24)
• KFC Japan’s Kentucky Chicken Rice ’sand’ (3Yen 2013-02-01)
• Colonel’s kinky Halloween cosplay in Japan (3Yen 2012-10-31)
• JPN’s sad Kentucky Fried ‘Feast’ for Xmas (3Yen 2012-11-25)
• The Colonels’ sex-change birthday party in Japan