New Ukiyo-e train etiquette posters for Seibu trains targeting foreigners?
giga-goofy Google Translate of trafficnews.jp | 2016-Sept-15
Seibu Railways has started a new “manners up” (マナーアップ) promotion with the slogan, “Train in the junk stands astride” (電車内迷惑図絵), ha, ha.
Debuting on September 15, 2016, these train etiquette posters have a motif of traditional ukiyo‑e prints, and they are aimed at interesting foreigners in their message.
The posters have illustrations of the Edo Era (1603 to 1868) of people causing a space problem on a modern train car and include an English admonishment, “Please let others sit comfortably” …more...
Also check out our previous reports about train “man-spreading” manners as well as our other posts on ukiyo‑e prints:
- Tokyo manspreading (3Yen / 2016-02-01)
- Train seating etiquette — Tokyo vs Paris (3Yen / 2014-11-02/)
- There’s always a seat next to a gaijin/alien (3Yen / 2010-09-08)
- Blotter Geisha (3Yen | 2011/01/18)
- Tokyo Metro’s training for being seated ↙ (3Yen / 2009-09-02)
To learn more about traditional Japanese ukiyo-e prints, refer to: